Philippine Politics & International Relations
Baste Duterte Blasts Marcos Over Father’s ICC Detention, Vows Political Retaliation
13 views
March 17, MANILA — Davao City Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte launched a scathing attack on President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. during the 88th Araw ng Dabaw celebration on Sunday, condemning his administration for facilitating the International Criminal Court’s (ICC) detention of his father, former President Rodrigo Duterte.
In an emotional speech, the mayor invoked a controversial 2016 decision by his father to allow the burial of Marcos’ late father, former dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr., at the Libingan ng mga Bayani. “My father permitted your father’s burial, but you imprisoned mine. You son of a w****!” Baste declared, drawing cheers from supporters. The burial of Marcos Sr. had sparked widespread protests due to his regime’s human rights abuses.
Vows Resistance, Mocks Marcos’ Leadership
Baste Duterte vowed to mobilize opposition against what he called the “illegal arrest” of Rodrigo Duterte, who was transferred to the ICC Detention Center in The Hague last week. The ex-president faces charges of crimes against humanity linked to thousands of killings during his anti-drug campaign (2011–2019).
The mayor also taunted Marcos, claiming he would never earn the loyalty of Duterte loyalists. “The Marcos name is tied to Martial Law and oppression. You’ll never be loved, especially by those who stand with Rody Duterte,” he said, prompting chants of “Marcos resign” from the crowd.
Palace Response and ICC Context
Malacañang has yet to respond to Baste’s remarks. Earlier, President Marcos defended the arrest as compliance with Interpol protocols, denying political motives. “This process began before my term. We’re simply following international law,” Marcos stated on March 11.
Rodrigo Duterte’s transfer to the ICC followed a warrant alleging his responsibility for systemic murders during his presidency and earlier tenure as Davao City mayor. The ICC’s jurisdiction remains contentious, as the Philippines withdrew from the court in 2019 under Duterte’s rule.
Background
The ICC investigation into Duterte’s drug war, which reportedly claimed over 6,000 lives, has deepened political divisions in the Philippines. While Marcos maintains cooperation with the ICC is procedural, the Duterte family and allies frame it as a betrayal, reigniting historical tensions between the two influential political clans.
In an emotional speech, the mayor invoked a controversial 2016 decision by his father to allow the burial of Marcos’ late father, former dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr., at the Libingan ng mga Bayani. “My father permitted your father’s burial, but you imprisoned mine. You son of a w****!” Baste declared, drawing cheers from supporters. The burial of Marcos Sr. had sparked widespread protests due to his regime’s human rights abuses.
Vows Resistance, Mocks Marcos’ Leadership
Baste Duterte vowed to mobilize opposition against what he called the “illegal arrest” of Rodrigo Duterte, who was transferred to the ICC Detention Center in The Hague last week. The ex-president faces charges of crimes against humanity linked to thousands of killings during his anti-drug campaign (2011–2019).
The mayor also taunted Marcos, claiming he would never earn the loyalty of Duterte loyalists. “The Marcos name is tied to Martial Law and oppression. You’ll never be loved, especially by those who stand with Rody Duterte,” he said, prompting chants of “Marcos resign” from the crowd.
Palace Response and ICC Context
Malacañang has yet to respond to Baste’s remarks. Earlier, President Marcos defended the arrest as compliance with Interpol protocols, denying political motives. “This process began before my term. We’re simply following international law,” Marcos stated on March 11.
Rodrigo Duterte’s transfer to the ICC followed a warrant alleging his responsibility for systemic murders during his presidency and earlier tenure as Davao City mayor. The ICC’s jurisdiction remains contentious, as the Philippines withdrew from the court in 2019 under Duterte’s rule.
Background
The ICC investigation into Duterte’s drug war, which reportedly claimed over 6,000 lives, has deepened political divisions in the Philippines. While Marcos maintains cooperation with the ICC is procedural, the Duterte family and allies frame it as a betrayal, reigniting historical tensions between the two influential political clans.